Sunday, June 28, 2015

BOOK REVIEW - Not Your Average Summer Reads

Occasionally I'll read a book that everyone's talking about, but the majority of the time, I like to read the forgotten treasures. Check out these oldies but goodies I've enjoyed reading this summer:


Picture
The Stepford Wives (1972): I admit that I didn't know this was a book until very recently, having only seen the movie with Nicole Kidman. I was intrigued to read this classic because it's by the same author (Ira Levin) who wrote Rosemary's Baby (also didn't know this was a book first). Now that I've read The Stepford Wives, I can tell you that the movie and book are both excellent, but they should be judged separately given their exceptional differences. If you're looking for psychological suspense, a commentary on the pursuit of youth and beauty, a few laughs, and some feminist nuances, then this is the book for you.




Picture
The Neverending Story (1979): You know when you absolutely can't put a book down to save your life? When it completely invades your dreams at night? When you become totally swept away into another world? When you cry when it's finished? This book instantly hooks you and doesn't let you go! I knew this story was highly fantastical and imaginative, but I had no idea about the many depths of this story, like Bastain's dark side.

I can honestly say that The Neverending Story is one of my top favorite books of all time.

























Picture
Coraline (2002): Yes, this counts as old given how everything moves at the speed of light these days. Besides, this book is definitely worthy of sharing because it's so wonderfully creepy.

Coraline is a super easy and engaging read, full of strange surprises and haunting imagery. In my opinion, it's Neil Gaiman's best work.



No comments:

Post a Comment