Thursday, April 14, 2016

TBT Writer - X Never Marks the Spot


It's #TBTWriter! Time to share some embarrassing pics and things I wrote back in the day. If you’ve got a writing throwback, post it with this hashtag so we can all read your story.

Before I started writing full-time, I explored a lot, and I mean A LOT, of career paths. One of those paths was archaeology. Maybe I kinda had an unrealistic fantasy that it would be like Indiana Jones in some sense...any sense. Maybe I thought I'd get to travel to exotic locations and find really cool things...then, a lot more really cool things would happen. Reality check! It's more like spending 8 hours in a hole in the middle of nowhere in the hot sun, and you can't sleep at night because your back hurts so much from having been hunched over all day. I really did enjoy the excavation part and not knowing what I was going to find though, but it didn't take me long to realize that archaeology just wasn't for me.

Here's me doing something archaeological.

Anyway, I was flipping through one of my old writing books and found a story I wrote in elementary school, ironically about being an archaeologist, and thought it would be fun to share. It didn't have a title, and I'm not sure if I purposely ended the story like this (you'll see what I mean), but here it is in all its glory. Enjoy!

A snapshot of this story in my first writing journal. I can't make this stuff up!

"Boy it's hot." Today is another big day for me. I'm finding dinosaur fossils. 
"Amie. Help us over here. I think we found something," my friend yelled.
"Just a minute," I yelled. I walked over to a rocky cliff and saw down below track marks. I skidded down the bumpy slope to get a closer look. I saw something amazing.
A small animal dashed out of nowhere and a giant animal headed for it, leaving track marks behind. Then I saw a circle which had millions of track marks scattered everywhere in the circle. It looked like the big animal had ran after it and attacked it (*I wrote 'attached' in the original. lol.). I think the small animal didn't survive because I saw only the big animal tracks leading away from the circle. 
I yelled, "I found something," to my friends.
They dashed down the slope and stared, for what we saw lay in front of us was very important.

What was so important? I have absolutely no idea! I don't understand this story at all. I saw the animal, then I didn't? I'm assuming I was writing about seeing real dinosaurs, but who knows. I was ten. It was still a blast re-reading this and sharing it with you. I seriously look forward to these posts each month.
Mini-me on the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland wearing an Indiana Jones hat.

If you haven't done so already, please check out my other #TBTWriter stories and pics:
What did you think about my story, or my shattered dreams of being an archaeologist? Do you have something from way back when you'd like to share? Post your comments below.


2 comments:

  1. Archaeology, no way! My mom loves archaeology as well and it has given her some wonderful ideas for stories. (She's also a writer, although mostly in nonfiction.) Isn't it funny when we look back on works we wrote that made so much sense at the time, and we have no idea why we thought it made sense? When I was really young, I used to draw people by drawing a circle for a head and then two sticks for arms and two sticks for legs. I literally didn't understand what was missing from my drawing (torso?!) that they didn't look like people. Our perspectives are so different when we're kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world! Yes, I agree that our perspectives were totally different as kids. I also wanted to be a veterinarian because I wanted to help animals, then I learned about all of the sad things I would have to do. I'll stick with writing. :P

    ReplyDelete