Thursday, February 11, 2016

TBT Writer - Ooey Gooey Chocolatey Goodness


It's #TBTWriter! For the past two months, I've shared some stories I wrote back in the day. My favorite so far is my first horror story I wrote when I was nine. Don't know why I thought a bald man was the most terrifying thing in the world, but it certainly adds to the fun. Pics of crimped side ponytails, uneven bangs, and hot pink spandex do, too (gotta love the 90s). I have quite an embarrassing collection of pics that would make a nice addition to Awkward Family Photos, but I haven't gotten there yet. Someday.

Te he he he...
Anyway, since Valentine's Day is coming up I thought I'd combine the TBT concept with a delicious recipe from way back when - a recipe that I entered into my high school's dessert contest and won! If you're looking for something yummy and sweet to make for V-day, or just for yourself because you deserve it, check out the irresistible recipe below.

YUM!


Chocolate Revel Bars

1 cup margarine or butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

In a mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup margarine/butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about half the flour, the brown sugar, eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and the baking soda. Beat until thoroughly combined. Beat in the remaining flour. Stir in the oats.

In a medium saucepan combine chocolate pieces, sweetened condensed milk, and the 2 tablespoons margarine/butter. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Press two-thirds of the rolled oats mixture into the bottom of an un-greased 15x10x1 inch baking ban. Spread chocolate mixture over the oat mixture. Using your fingers, dot remaining oat mixture over chocolate.

Bake at 350 for approx. 20-25 mins or until the top is lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy with a tall glass of milk.

I've made these chocolate revel bars a couple of times since the contest and they are consistently delicious. 

High school me with my first pug puppy. RIP Gomer :(

Have an old school recipe, story, or pic you want to share? Post below :) I respond to all comments.

2 comments:

  1. Running out to the supermarket... It sounds delicious! And how exciting to win a recipe contest so young - that's really special. At that age I had a general idea of how to cook, but I certainly couldn't invent my own recipe yet. Great story!

    ReplyDelete